Friday, May 15, 2009

Baby Names

A friend of mine, and old neighbor from "Almost Canada" as she terms it :) posted a blog entry about how people decide on their childrens names. I think that is such an interesting thing to ask people because everyone has their own story. Here is the story behind our names....

Adam and I spent forever trying to decide on Kayla's name. I wanted Emma Marie and he wanted Anna Kathleen (thankfully we didn't decide on either because she doesn't really look like and Emma or an Anna). So I took a list of 100 names and had each of us circle our favorites.....we agreed on only 3 names! As it just so happened Kayla fit the best with our last name. Her middle name was easy...Marie. Marie was Adam's Great Grandma's name, and to be honest one of the few female names in both of our families that we wanted to give a little girl nowadays (think things like Hildegard and Exie).

Carter was much easier to name. The night before my ultrasound we were reading thru a baby name book and I happened to read the name Carter outloud and Adam said "yep that's it...if it's a boy that's his name!" The next day we found out that we would have a Carter in our family. The funny part is that recently I found a place that stated the meaning of the name Carter is "little troublemaker"... HOW TRUE THAT IS! Carter's middle name is Frederick, which to be honest is not very common nowadays but is also a family name. My Adam was named after the first Adam in his family who came over from Germany. That Adam had a son named Frederick (who is my Adam's Great Great Grandfather) and so we thought it would be fitting to give our son a name after one of the other Adam's children.

So there you have the reasoning behind our childrens names. My question to you all is, why did you name your children what you did? Feel free to comment :)

1 comments:

Lingars 2 said...

OK, I'll bite....Logan Elizabeth....We didn't find out what we were having when we were PG with Logan and I was convinced I was having a boy....so we weren't too worried about it until about 5 weeks from my due date, I began to believe she was a girl. Well, we were going to name her Haylee Danielle, but I all of the sudden decided that I liked the name Logan(which is his Mom's maiden name) even for a girl and Elizabeth is my sister's middle name. So that one was easy, but Macin Danielle was a little harder.....We found out she was a girl and I decided that she had to have a name that could be either gender. Well, I liked Robin or Casey, but Dale didn't so....I came up with Macin and he agreed. Danielle is Dale's middle name...I know it's weird and it's pronounced (according to his mom) Danelle, so he finally agreed. :) That's how our beautiful daughters got their lovely names. :) Have a blessed weekend!