So it seems that Kayla learned a very important lesson last night/early this morning.....don't put items other than food in your mouth! At some point last night after I put her to bed, she decided that it would be fun to put one of those pencil eraser cover thing-a-ma-gig things in her mouth. You know the big rubber pieces that come in various shapes that are like a bigger eraser and just slide over the pencil eraser. Well this one happened to be a circle about as big around as a nickle, maybe a bit bigger. Adam and I didn't find out that she has swallowed it until midnight when she woke up screaming in pain and told us what she had done. Between the 2 of us we decided that because of the size, that I should take her to the ER to make sure that it wasn't getting caught up somewhere in her digestive track.
So off we went to the ER a little after midnight. We waited with the tons of other people in the waiting room until at 2:30am....then we were taken back to see a Dr. Ironically, the ER Dr was an old neighbor that we had in Minot the first 4 months we lived there :) Small world! So anyways, he did an ultrasound and x-rays, but the problem is that rubber doesn't really show up well on anything, so we couldn't find it.
We got home this morning right about 7am (which meant that I had been up for 24 hours straight!) and are now on a wait and see approach. Hopefully sometime in the next week the eraser makes it's way out of her body.
Later this morning after attempting to get some sleep (but only succeeding at an hour or 2 because of the sun shining in my house) Kayla and I had a long talk about how the only thing that should go in your mouth is food.....whodda thunk that a 4 year old would do that....my 2 year old yes, but I never would have guessed it from the 4 year old!
1 comments:
wow, what a crazy story! I'm glad it seems to have gone all the way down her throat w/ out trouble so far.
Post a Comment